I’ve used this drawerless dresser as a media console since about 2004 or so, when my friend Lauren and I rescued it from a dumpster and painted it in fun shades of blue and green for our first college apartment. I don’t really need much storage around the TV, since we don’t have a ton of movies or video games or anything, but I do like to keep the compartments filled with boxes or stacks of books just to keep things from looking too sad and empty. A couple of months ago I stole a small wooden box from here to use in Jack’s room, leaving a gaping hole over there on the right. Can’t have that.
Earlier this week as I was packaging an item to ship from my shop, I realized that one of the Priority Mail boxes I already had on hand would be perfect for that spot! Except obviously the postal service branding doesn’t really work with my aesthetic. So then I started thinking about how I could change the look of it and remembered an idea I’d had a few months ago to decoupage a box with book pages! Perfect!
I decided to use some of the pages from the beginning of this old dictionary–I thought some of them were fun and quirky and I knew I’d never use them for dictionary art to sell in my shop.
I got started by just brushing some mod podge onto my box and smoothing a page onto it.
Then I continued to just layer on more pages.
For the bottom, I just trimmed the excess and decoupaged the edges.
This is about the time I realized I may or may not be violating federal law by choosing to use this box (obtained for free from the postal service) as a decorative element rather than for its intended purchase of shipping vintage whatnots cross-country. Hope the Feds don’t come after me for this one.
On the inside I applied more paper to cover the top couple of inches. I didn’t bother with the bottom section, though, especially since this box is really just for looks and will very rarely be pulled out and peered into.
And ta-da! No more sad empty space. It would be perfectly sized to hold DVD’s if we actually needed the storage.
What I love about this project, besides the fact that it was free, is that it was really fast. Part of the reason I haven’t been posting as much lately is that I just can’t seem to find the time to keep up my old pace of crafts and projects. Jack still only naps for about 45 minutes at a stretch and somehow that time is usually eaten up with feeding myself and basic has-to-be-done housework like laundry and dishes. I’m not opposed to giving him some independent playtime at this age, but it’s still not like I can leave him to chill for an hour and a half while I go paint a room (I started painting the laundry room over two months ago. Guess how much progress I’ve made). Don’t get me wrong, I am loving this new gig of being home with my boy most days, but it would be nice if I could find some time to squeeze in the creative stuff that keeps me feeling like my old self.