Remember the big, old-school television we had in our front room? It was mostly only used by Nick to play the occasional video game, but it was huge and unsightly and I worried it might topple over on Jack.
My parents very generously got us a new flat screen for Christmas–you can read all about it here.
Even though the new TV is much smaller and lighter, it was still a bit of a falling hazard. So we ordered this wall mount for $25 from Amazon and this weekend Nick put on his handyman face and got ‘er done.
It came with kind of a lot of hardware. He was a little intimidated.
First step–locate studs. It’s not as easy as it sounds because we of course have the cheapest studfinder available. All those beeps are pretty ambiguous.
But we found the studs, marked them, and then I held the wall bracket in place while Nick drilled pilot holes.
Then he used a cool little universal wrench we got for Christmas to bolt it to the wall.
Looks pretty solid, right?
Next step: attach these two brackets to the back of the TV. Apparently this is the reason for all that hardware–they included a bunch of different types of screws so you could choose the ones that worked best for your television.
With the brackets securely attached, we plugged back in all the cords, unscrewed the stand, and verrrry caarefullllly popped the whole operation up onto the wall. This part was a little nerve wracking.
It wasn’t centered, but you can slide the tv and wall brackets along one another to move it a few inches left and right.
Then, once we had it right where we wanted it, Nick squeezed in behind it to tighten the screws on the bottom of the bracket, locking it in place.
We are totally not handy people, but this was way easier than we thought. Can you guess what my next order of business was? I didn’t really have a plan for dealing with the cords. I knew I didn’t want to mess with pulling them through the wall.
My first thought was to gather them together over to the side with a zip-tie. I figured they’d be easier to hide if they were at least consolidated.
I measured the gap between the top of the console and the bottom of the TV to be about 5-6″, so I just went searching the house for something that was about that height. I found this white ceramic planter and transplanted a house plant into it (left over from my sister’s shower–it was one of the game prizes that the winner forgot to take home with her).
Then I just hammered a quick nail into the wall and looped the wires over it to hold them off a bit further to the side,
Bam. Hidden wires. I just need to beef up the contents of the cubby below to hide the rest of the evidence.
I put this low, wide basket up there to keep the planter company. It’s a perfect spot for the remote. I looked around for something else to balance things out on the other side, but nothing felt quite right. I’ve managed to avoid jumping on the globe trend thus far but I’m starting to wonder if it wouldn’t be fun to have one in here.
You can of course still see the wires from some angles so this solution isn’t perfect, but it’s a heck of a lot prettier than just letting them hang down haphazardly and way easier than running them through the wall (which requires special equipment to be done to code). I might even upgrade it a bit down the line by covering the wires with a piece of plastic painted to match the wall or maybe a fabric sleeve in a similar color.
So now I want to find something fun and kid-friendly to hang out over on the left side of this whole operation. Maybe a globe, maybe something else that’s yet to be discovered. I think with some more stuff up there the placement of the planter will be a little less obvious. Thank y’all for all your kind words after I thought my house was on fire on Monday! Things are much more calm this morning. Today is National Signing Day for college football and Nick is so obsessed that he took the day off from work, haha. If he can peel himself away from ESPN we’ll be enjoying some family time (or maybe I’ll get him to stay with Jack while I run to Lowe’s–I’ve decided to keep that purple dresser in the laundry room and make it over with a fresh coat of paint!).
Update: this whole scene looks even better now that I have a bigger plant and a fun vintage globe. You can see an updated picture in this post.