If slow and steady wins the race then we are KILLING this backsplash installation. I spent the first two weeks of January knocking out the old backsplash, then weekend before last we cut and installed the new beadboard panels, and this last weekend we installed the trim and knocked out a few other small tasks to get it ready for caulk and paint.
Here are all the supplies I needed for this weekend’s accomplishments:
Nail punch set–$6
(4) 1.375″ x 7′ primed pine stop moulding–$20
(4) 1.25″ x 7′ primed pine stop moulding–$20
(5) 1/8″ by 4′ poplar dowels–$3
Total for project to date: about $170
First step: knock all the nails used to secure the beadboard down just a smidge so that the trim can sit flush and the nails not covered by trim can be hidden with caulk. See how the nails stuck out just a bit?
A handy little tool called a nail punch allows you to tap the head of the nail down below the surface of the wood without banging a huge hole with your hammer.
I had to prop up the camera to take these photos by myself so I hope it’s clear enough to understand what I’m doing, Don’t mind the primer on my hands. You just put the tip of the nail punch up against the head of the nail and tap the other end with the hammer. It was easy but very tedious. It took me over hour to do the whole kitchen, but I told myself it was good exercise.
The next day Nick and I spent Jack’s naptime familiarizing ourselves with the wonderful world of angled cuts. This was our first time ever doing anything like this but the $15 miter box made it so easy. I love that the little pins clamped the pieces in place so they didn’t move while Nick was cutting.
I bought two different types of trim: The 1.25″ trim with the squared edges went all along the bottom perimeter and the slightly larger trim with the rounded edge went around the sides and top. I probably could have used the rounded trim for the whole thing but I worried that it wouldn’t fit under the pass-through window. Turns out it probably would have, but I don’t mind the two different kinds. It looks kind of like how your baseboards might be slightly different from the trim around your doorways. The blue tape was just holding it all in place until we nailed it all up.
This is the only joint that we had to make that wasn’t in a corner. We just cut the two pieces at an angle so that they lined up gracefully (this is before either was nailed down).
The purpose of the trim is twofold: 1) to cover up the raw edges of the beadboard paneling, and 2) to prevent us from having to cut a long, narrow strip of beadboard to fit underneath the pass-through to the dining room. The trim just runs right underneath it and that’s all that’s needed.
Nick had to use the jigsaw to notch out a little piece near the right of this picture. I am definitely planning to finish out the bottom of those cabinets somehow as part of this kitchen mini-remodel.
I went around the room with the nail gun making sure the trim was lined up just so before securing it to the wall, then it was time to cut the power so we could move on to spacing the outlets. Nick and I were both dreading this task. Maybe because we had no idea what we were doing. When we installed the beadboard it meant that the wall was now almost a quarter inch thicker but the outlets were still sunk back where they’d always been. These spacers are designed to bring the outlets forward to make them flush with the new backsplash.
After cutting the power we unscrewed each outlet and slipped a spacer down behind each screw, then screwed it back and replaced the faceplate. Sounds simple enough but it took some finagling to get things lined up just right. I’m not sure if that’s normal or just because we live in a really old house. See the fluorescent spacers behind the screws in the photo below?
Bam. Trim installed, outlets flush. All it’s missing is caulk and paint.
All the blue tape is holding up small pieces of trim that will be secured with a bead of caulk when I get my caulk on next weekend. Nick was making jokes all day Sunday about my pronunciation of the word caulk. Is that an awkward word for anyone else or just me?
I rearranged a few things for now. I’m actually thinking that when I put up the new shelves I might get a smaller microwave that can sit atop one but for now I am liking the microwave moved next to the refrigerator. It was really cramped next to the stove.
And I think the mixer will definitely stay over here. Once I clear up some cabinet space by moving our most frequently used items to the open shelves I can use the cabinet directly above to store mixer attachments and baking supplies. I didn’t get any good close up pictures, but the small dowels that I bought were for spots like this corner behind the mixer, the sides of the range hood, etc. Each corner got a dowel.
We still need to fill many, many cracks and gaps with caulk and give the whole operation a couple of coats of white paint but it definitely looks much closer to complete than it did sans trim. I can really see it coming together! I can’t wait to see how great it looks once we’re done.