Happy Monday, my friends! I hope you had an awesome weekend! We took Jack to the New Orleans Aquarium with my parents, celebrated Nick’s Grandpa Sam’s birthday with his family, and watched Nick’s youngest brother play in one of his last ever high school basketball games. It was wonderful to spend so much time with family. Being that our parents live just over an hour away we spent the night down there and weren’t able to work on any house projects until Sunday afternoon (at which point we really just wanted to veg out). I did make some progress on my kitchen shelves, though, and hope to have them finished later this week! In the meantime, here are some links that caught my eye recently in case you’re looking for a little reading to brighten your Monday:
- The internet can be a hostile place for young people, but reading about “nerdfighters” was heartwarming
- I know both personally and professionally that listening to relaxing music has a profound effect. In fact, a guided imagery track I downloaded on iTunes was the only thing that relieved the chronic back/rib pain I experienced for six months of my pregnancy with Jack. I didn’t know it then but scientists say this is the most relaxing song ever. I’ll have to give it a listen next time I’m having trouble falling asleep (or play it when Jack is having a meltdown!).
- A friend of mine from grad school recently lost her husband, a veteran who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, to PTSD. She asked that folks donate in his memory to Paws and Stripes, a nonprofit that provides service dogs for military veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder and traumatic brain injury.
- I’ve got 20 pounds of chicken breasts in my freezer. This list should help me come up with a few new ways to cook it.
- Are your New Year’s resolutions falling by the wayside? Try watching one of these 22 TED Talks to get inspired and motivated all over again.
- I’ll never forgive NBC for cancelling Law & Order, but these SVU valentines are almost as awesome.
And I’ll leave you with this thought: