Well, Nick and I finally put our heads together yesterday evening and figured out how to install a set of miniblinds. Geez Louise that was more complicated than I thought it’d be. But now at least we know what we’re doing for next time! One more life skill mastered.
Anyway, I was so excited to get up this morning and admire my masterpiece in the light of day. Ta-da!
I don’t mind the more casual gathered look so I didn’t bother with ironing creases so they’d fold nicely.
This is a west-facing room, but even with the less intense morning sun it’s still pretty dang bright. Check it out with the shades closed, though.
I like that it’s much, much darker without being pitch-black. Much more appropriate for a nice, relaxing nap. And even in their bunched-up state the shades tuck neatly behind the curtains (which are hung centered on the wall, not the window, to soothe my neurosis. Read all about that here).
I’m really grateful that I found those gray room-darkening panels. All the windows on this side of the house are visible from the driveway and I worried that lining the shades with black might make our house look like a crack den. But even when the shades are let down all the way the gray is not too shabby looking.
Once I get the hang of opening and closing the shades pretty easily I’ll have to figure out some sort of safety solution for those cords, but for now I’m not worried about it. I’m really excited because this is the last nursery project that I would have been disappointed if I hadn’t completed by the time Jack got here. Everything else, like hanging pictures and DIY artwork, is just for fun and can easily be knocked out a little bit at a time when I have the time and energy in the coming weeks (or months). Now I can move onto more pressing matters, like writing all those thank you notes and scrubbing every inch of my house!
PS If you missed Part 1, the actual construction of these shades from a dropcloth and some inexpensive miniblinds, you can read all about it here